I decided to post these newborn pictures of Evan. I don't think anyone except my immediate family have seen these pictures. The pictures are a little disturbing, I apologize for that. It is healing for me to start at the beginning. Evan came into this world in much distress. The cord was wrapped so tightly around him that it had to be cut before he was actually delivered. When he came out, he was completely bruised all over his face and head. He also had bruising on his left shoulder where the cord was also wrapped around. He did not completely open his eyes for about 3 weeks. When he tried, they were completely red because of the broken blood vessels. He had immediate breathing issues which they termed "grunting." These breathing problems later resulting in a diagnosis of asthma. The doctors said the bruising would last several weeks. Jim gave Evan a blessing and by the time we left the hospital two days later, the bruising was almost completely gone. Because of the bruising, Evan was in a lot of pain....so those first few weeks were difficult. We couldn't give him any pain medication because he needed to be monitored for fevers. It was so difficult to be his mother and not be able to take away his pain.
He really was a miracle baby and we are grateful for the short 23 months we had him here with us. We are blessed with the knowledge that we will see him again. I just cannot wait until that day...how sweet that reunion will be! I think of that everyday!

Evan's 1st picture. He weighed 8lbs 12 oz....thank
goodness I was induced two weeks early because
he would have been close to 10lbs!

His little face was blueish purple...you can
see all the broken capillaries in his skin.
His mouth was gasping for breath.

My dad sent this little CHP token with
my mom who was actually at Evan's birth.
You can see the blue around his lips and
his swollen eye lids.
The kids were so excited to finally meet baby Evan!


Two days later. The purple is gone. He is still bruised,
but his breathing seems to be under control.
9 comments:
Not to detract from the mood of this post but I just have to say, You look amazingly beautiful in the that first picture. I always look all puffed up and swollen right after having a baby, you on the other hand look fantastic!!!
Angela,
Its so hard for me to really believe he is gone. With us being so far away....the last time we saw you guys he was here. Why cant he still be? It seems like he should be. I think about Evan often. Every time he enters my mind I am flooded with the feeling that he was taken too soon. And now you're pregnant and expecting another one. I wish we didn't live so far away. It's hard to keep up with all of these life changes from such a distance. Please know how much we love you and care about you and your very special family.
Kiera
Thank you for the memories Angela. I so needed to see those pictures. I don't think I have any of my own, and it's hard to believe that I held him when he was so little. I remembered all of these things as you posted them, so thank you for not letting me forget.
Angela, this is Rachel, Lauren's sister. I don't know you that well, but cried over your loss nonetheless. Every time I see a picture of beautiful Evan, I can barely contain the tears. We prayed for your peace and comfort and continue to do so. What a blessed little boy he is to have you for a mommy! I'm so glad you'll get him back one day.
What a day that was, and what a miracle that he did live through it. What a miracle it was to have him for 23 months. And, what a miracle and a blessing it will be to him in your loving arms, again. Lots of love and hugs from us.
Angela:
Thank you for being our daughter, and mother to Evan and the rest of your children and our grandchildren. Heavenly Father blessed our family with children who I could have asked for none better. I will be eternally grateful for the opportunity I have to be your father. Evan is forever in our thoughts and prayers as well as all our children.
Dad
You are absolutely BEAUTIFUL.
I'm so sorry he left so soon. I'm so sorry we have to endure this.
Seeing those first pictures of Evan clearly shows it was a miracle that he lived. I didn't realize how precarious the beginning of his life was. Jim's blessing and your prayers surely allowed him to stay with you those short twenty-three months. His health issues surely made you appreciate each day more than you would had he been healthy. Thanks so much for sharing these pictues and memories and feelings with those of us who live too far away. I pray that you will continue to heal and make peace with all this.
I love you.
~ Bev
Thank you for taking the time to share those special moments. I remember seeing the pictures of Evan and how big he was. Cassie was always amazed you could carry him! He made you physically strong and he continues to keep you spiritually strong! He certainly was an angel.
What a beautiful boy! He looks great even through is bruising. That sweet mouth of his gave the some of the biggest smiles I saw in nursery!
Post a Comment