Monday, October 20, 2008

Vicksburg, Mississippi








We just got back from Vicksburg, Mississippi. My brother Aaron and his new bride, Angela (yes, there are two of us now!) had a little wedding celebration in Angela's hometown of Vicksburg. We stayed with Angela's parents, who completely spoiled us. The kids even got to pick out some books from Angela's mom's personal library.

The Weekend was picturesque. We went on a hike in the woods behind their house, swung on a swing over a pond, and threw fallen walnuts in a little creek. I think the kids favorite thing was rolling down the hills or maybe it was the Canadian geese or the deer that they would chase.

We had the opportunity to visit The Vicksburg National Military Park. This Park includes many memorials dedicated to the military who fought during the siege of Vicksburg. Angela's dad was the best tour guide! The Illinois monument was by far the most impressive. This building was dome shaped with a hole at the top. The kids loved this one because they loved hearing their voices echo inside. I also think the kids said it was 47 steps to the top. Each soldier's name was listed inside the dome. It was really exciting to bring history to life for our children.

The best part of the trip was to spend time with Nana and Papa. Nana helped create Danielle's Cleopatra wig and they brought some hoop earrings for Kailey to wear with her pirate costume. My favorite picture is the silly one of the kids with Nana and Papa.
It was also fun to hear all the information the kids knew about the Mississippi River...........and to hear Mississippi spelled forward and backwards for the ENTIRE TRIP!

5 comments:

Melica and Aaron said...

It sounds like you had a great time on your trip. Was the weather just gorgeous up there? I can't wait until we start to cool down. I love the picture with the crazy faces - how cute. (Are those your parents in that picture?)

Lucky Me said...

I love the silly pics. I wanted to frame one of my Mom and little brother we took not to long ago. She threatened me with putting up pictures I don't like of myself, I better not. She's so silly ;)

It looks like you guys had a great time. Getting away can do miracles for you. I do it any chance I can get.

Lauren said...

Looks like fun! We'd love to take the kids out to see some old historical sites like that. Maybe next time it'll work out for us and we can join you. Glad you are back in town...we need to get the kids together!

Ashley Allred said...

I really wish we could have gone. How fun! We'll have to make it out to mississippi someday. looks and sounds pretty. I miss you!

Stacie Cooper said...

I am so glad that it looks and sounds like ya'll had a good time. Welcome back.